Design what’s NXT
You could win $5,000
Toronto has been ranked the best city, the most livable city and now the best city in the world for young people. Now’s the time for young people to imagine what’s possible for the GTHA’s public spaces. If you’re under 35, submit your public space idea to NXT City Prize, presented by Oxford Properties.
You could bring home $5,000 + additional prizes
Last year, nearly 150 public spaces ideas were submitted that blew our jury away. This year, we’re looking for the best, most visionary, mind-blowing, awe-inspiring, precedent-setting, media-worthy, radical, city-shifting, wish-I-had-thought-of-this ideas for public spaces. Think about projects that help us move, interact, work, commute, eat, relax, wayfind, play, exercise or gather.
Special consideration will be given to projects that fall under these themes:
- Transit Toronto is growing – how can we improve how we move around?
- Accessibility Inclusive design is responsible design – how can we create better spaces for all?
- Quick-n-Cheap Often the simplest idea has the greatest impact – think low-budget, low-fi ideas!
- Technology Have a great idea for a mobile app or digital intervention? Bring it!
- Programming How can we bring spaces to life through events, services or programs?
How to Submit
1. Review Important Dates
Submissions Open: August 1, 2016
Deadline for Submissions: Deadline Extended to November 11, 2016, 11:59 p.m. EST
Shortlist Announced: November 21
2016 NXT City Summit & Awards Ceremony: November 25, 2016
2. Are You Eligible
- You are submitting individually or as part of a team of up to 4 people
- You (and your team) are 35 years of age or younger on December 31, 2016
- You have not previously submitted this proposal to NXT City Prize
3. Prepare Your Submission
Submissions may include sketches, drawings, illustrations, photography or plans in the following format:
- A PDF (single page 11X17” / 279 mm X 432 mm, no larger than 20 MB)
- Please ensure project name is included on your panel
- Leave all names off to ensure anonymity
- We will review digital copies of your proposals – be sure to review for resolution and clarity!
4. Complete Your Vision Statement
In no more than 150 words, tell us about your project – how does it create, activate or improve public space? How will it benefit the GTHA?
5. Complete Online Submission Form
Submission fees are as follows:
- Students (Secondary/Post-Secondary): $25
- All Other Submissions: $50
*Submission Fee includes free admission to NXT City Night and discounted admission to NXT City Summit on November 4th.
6. Review and Accept Terms & Conditions
If there are two or more entrants, one signature assumes that all entrants agree to the Terms and Conditions.
The jury will determine the entries to be shortlisted using the following scoring criteria:
- How well the idea enhances, shapes or activates public space /30 pts
- Creativity and originality of the idea /30 pts
- Clarity of the presentation /30 pts
- How feasible the idea is to implement /10 pts